Martin County Commissioners on Tuesday unanimously agreed to set aside an additional $850,000 to continue their legal fight to block All Aboard Florida’s Brightline train service, which is set to begin shuttling passengers between Miami and Orlando late next year.
County officials said the money would be used to oppose All Aboard Florida through various means, including covering the cost of ongoing legal action.
Tuesday’s decision brings Martin County’s total allocation in its fight against All Aboard Florida to $2.2 million.
Last year, county commissioners agreed to set aside $1.4 million to fund opposition efforts, including a federal lawsuit challenging federal approval authorizing All Aboard to issue up to $1.75 billion in private activity bonds. County officials said Tuesday that roughly $217,000 of the $1.4 million has not been spent, although some of the money has been allocated for various efforts.
“This is not the time to waiver or demonstrate any sign of weakness,” Commissioner John Haddox said. “Now is the time, and today is the day, that we take a strong stance and a firm resolve to continue to oppose All Aboard Florida.”