Although many retailers will be able to ship items right up until Christmas Eve — the rush delivery comes with a cost. If you want to avoid added fees, today (Dec. 16) is the last day to get standard shipping from some retailers. For others, the cutoff is Monday (Dec. 19).
- Shop Free Shipping Day: Many stores offer exclusive discounts during the Dec. 16 event, some include free shipping with no minimum while other stores drop the spending requirement needed to get free shipping, it’s important to know the difference.
- Shop All Weekend: The hype to only get free shipping on Dec. 16 is overstated as dozens of stores offer free shipping with no minimum before, during and after Free Shipping Day (see list above).
- Spend Enough: Most stores require shoppers to spend a specific amount of money in order to avoid shipping costs (Walmart offers free shipping with every $50 spent). Meet this spending threshold to take advantage of the savings on delivery costs.
- Site to Store: Procrastinators will face expedited shipping costs next week, but many stores offer free in-store pickup for available inventory, allowing online shoppers to gain an online discount and pickup their gifts the same day, even on Christmas Eve.
- Haggle: Can’t find free shipping offers? Try calling customer service (or use a store’s chat feature) and ask how to get free shipping. Many store representatives will help you find a discount on shipping costs in order to keep you as a customer.
- Compare Store Offers: A store offering an item with free shipping may sell that item at a higher price than another store that doesn’t offer free shipping. Compare shipping offers with prices, coupons, cash back and other discounts to get the best deals.