Superhero outfits are expected to surpass princess gear as the top Halloween costume for children this year, according to a new survey released by the National Retail Federation.
Halloween spending on costumes is expected to reach $3.1 billion, with more than 3 million children expected to dress as their favorite action or superhero, the survey found.
Princess costumes have held the top spot for the last 11 years, but fell to number 2 in 2016, the federation said.
RELATED: Halloween spending expected to reach record level
This year, roughly 2.9 children are expected to dress as a princess, while another 2.5 million plan to dress as an animal.
Here is a look at this year’s top costumes, according to the federation’s survey:
Top costumes for kids
3. Animal (Cat, Dog, Lion, Monkey, etc.)
4. Batman Character
5. Star Wars Character
6. Tie: Witch AND DC Superhero (excl. Batman)
7. Frozen Character (Anna, Elsa, Olaf)
8. Marvel Superhero (excl. Spiderman)
Top costumes for adults (18-34 years old)
1. Batman Character (Batman, Harley Quinn, The Joker, etc.)
3. Animal (Cat, Dog, Bunny, etc.)
4. Tie: Marvel Superhero (Deadpool, Spiderman, etc.) AND DC Superhero (Wonder Woman, Superman, excl. Batman)
6. Video Game Character
7. Slasher Movie Villain (Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, etc.)
9. Star Wars Character
Top costumes for adults (over 35 years old)
3. Political (Trump, Clinton, etc.)
5. Batman Character (Batman, Catwoman, etc.)
6. Animal (Cat, Dog, Bunny, etc.)
7. Tie: DC Superhero (Superman, Wonder Woman, excl. Batman) and Star Wars Character
8. Tie: Ghost and Zombie
9. Scary Costume/Mask
10. Marvel Superhero (Iron Man, Hulk, Spiderman, etc.)
Top Pet Costumes
2. Hot Dog
3. Bumble Bee
4. Tie: Lion and Star Wars Character
6. Batman Character